btn login facebook small positivessl trust seal lg 222x54

 Call us toll free on 0800 472637

Join GRG Update your member details COVID-19 button-40 Donate Financial Support for Caregivers-665 SGC Vacancies-137.png

Legal Support

GRG is not able to give legal advice on your case, but we are able to give you general information about the law and the types of issues that are relevant for full time grandparent and whānau/kin carers.  We can also refer members to the relevant agencies or information sources.

Need help understanding where to start?

GRG has extensive expertise and knowledge of the Family Court system and common personal and family issues when raising someone else's child. Our advocacy service is free for all full-time grandparent and whānau/kin carers caregivers.

Contact us to get an understanding of the different pathways in and/or out of the court system. As well as gain some insight into family violence orders, guardianship or adoption orders, and day to day (custody) orders. Plus get some ideas about what contact with the birth parents, siblings, and/or other whānau members could look like.

Not a member? Membership is free and takes just a few minutes to join up here.

Where to get help

Family Court

The Family Justice Website has information about dealing with personal and family disputes, including keeping children safe, 'Additional Guardianship', and day to day care and/or contact of children.

Family Court Navigator Service | Kaiārahi o te Kooti-a-Whānau 

This is a service that was first introduced in 2021.

The Kaiārahi – Family Court Navigators help whānau and families with information, guidance, and support on their journey through the Family Court by helping with:

  • Understanding the language, processes, and outcomes of Family Court proceedings.
  • Where appropriate, accessing out-of-court services and support in the community to help reach agreement about the care of children.
  • Remaining engaged and involved in any Family Court proceedings by working to address any barriers that are preventing participation.
  • With agreement they can also connect you with other agencies and services in the community to support you as needed.

The Kaiārahi - Family Court Navigators are a free service, but they do not give legal advice.

Phone or visit a Community Law Centre

Community Law Centres provide information and other legal help. Their services are particularly for people who cannot afford to pay private legal fees. They are able to give legal advice on your case.

Find a Community Law Centre Near You


Getting Legal Advice

If you do not know a suitable lawyer already:


Legal Aid

Legal Aid Services is government funding to pay for legal help for people who cannot afford a lawyer. It is available for people facing criminal charges, and those with a civil legal problem or family dispute (including family matters) that may go to court, as well as for Waitangi Tribunal.

Find out more about Legal Aid


Phone or visit a Citizens’ Advice Bureau (CAB)

Citizens’ Advice Bureaus around New Zealand provide information about the law. Some may be able to provide initial legal advice.

Find a Citizens’ Advice Bureau near you

About us 

Grandparents Raising GrandchildrenTM Trust NZ (GRG) is a registered Charitable Trust operating throughout New Zealand providing support services to grandparents who are raising their grandchildren on a full-time basis. Our vision is for a community where grandparents raising grandchildren are empowered to provide a safe, secure and nurturing home for their grandchildren.

Charities Commission Registration CC20205

Join GRG Update your member details
btn login facebook small Donate
GRGT Logo Modified 20041125-1-10-287

Te tautoko i nga tupuna, mokopuna me te whanau.
Te awhina ia ratou ki te whakatutuki i nga putanga
pai i roto i to raatau oranga.
Supporting grandparents, grandchildren and whanau
to achieve positive outcomes in their lives.  



Contact us

Member Support 
Outside Auckland Freephone
0800 472 637      

Auckland Landline or Mobile Phone Callers
(09) 418 3753 

National Support Office
9:00am - 2:00pm
09 418 3753

PO Box 34-892
Auckland 0746
New Zealand

Email GRG Office

Mitre 10 Community of the Year 2013

Nzer Awards logo 2013-893