btn login facebook small positivessl trust seal lg 222x54

 Call us toll free on 0800 472637

Join GRG Update your member details COVID-19 button-40 Donate Financial Support for Caregivers-665 SGC Vacancies-137.png

Financial Support for Caregivers

Are you caring for someone else's child?

For most grandparents and
whānau caregivers who take on the full-time care of children it involves significant financial challenges and readjustments to their lives.  With extra mouths to feed, there can also seem like endless extra costs and expenses for simple day-to-day clothing and bedding needs, paying for school and extra-curricular activities, doctors, dental and medical costs, counselling, therapy… and the list goes on.

If you are caring for someone else's child you may be able to get support through Work and Income New Zealand/Te Hiranga Tangata through the Orphan's Benefit or the Unsupported Child Benefit

Or you might be approved by Oranga Tamariki to receive the Foster Care Allowance.

Need help applying for support?

GRG has extensive expertise and knowledge of the financial support available from the State for grandparents and  whānau/kin carers raising someone else's child on a full-time basis.  Our advocacy service is free for all full-time grandparent and whānau caregivers.

Not a member?  Membership is free and takes just a few minutes to join up here.

Remember: If you need assistance to apply for this support, or you have tried and had difficulty applying for a benefit or been turned down, please contact us on 0800 472 637 for a referral to one of our Advocates who can advise you on your particular circumstances.  In some cases the decision from Work and Income is reviewable and may benefit from the presentation of further evidence to justify a benefit being granted in your case.

Helpful Links and Further Information


This is a weekly payment which helps carers supporting a child or young person whose parents have died or can't be found, or can't look after them because they have a serious long-term health condition or incapacity.
This is a weekly payment which helps carers supporting a child or young person whose parents can't care for them because of a family breakdown. This might be a temporary care situation or for the long term.
  The Work and Income New Zealand links to the UCB and OB above have quick links to the current weekly rates for each age-group.  There are some payments that are paid automatically to you as follows:
  1. Automatic payments
  2. Payments to apply for:
  1. The application for the Unsupported Child Benefit or the Orphan's Benefit is on the same form.
  2. Call or contact Work and Income and tell them you need to apply for this support. '
  3. There is an application form that must be completed.
  4. You will also need to provide the following information to them to assess your eligibility for this support.
  • a full birth certificate for the child
  • a copy of the custody or guardianship agreement
  • details about the child's income
  • Family Group Conference Outcomes, Court Orders or Court Approved Plans
  • names, addresses and phone numbers of the child's parents and their places of work.

To download the application form for the Unsupported Child or Orphan's Benefit click here.


How long do I have to complete my application?

You have 20 working days from when you first contacted Work and Income. You'll need to provide them with any supporting documentation required for your application within this time. If you don't do this, you may have to reapply.
If you can't complete your application within 20 working days for any reason, please contact Work and Income.







About us 

Grandparents Raising GrandchildrenTM Trust NZ (GRG) is a registered Charitable Trust operating throughout New Zealand providing support services to grandparents who are raising their grandchildren on a full-time basis. Our vision is for a community where grandparents raising grandchildren are empowered to provide a safe, secure and nurturing home for their grandchildren.

Charities Commission Registration CC20205

Join GRG Update your member details
btn login facebook small Donate
GRGT Logo Modified 20041125-1-10-287

Te tautoko i nga tupuna, mokopuna me te whanau.
Te awhina ia ratou ki te whakatutuki i nga putanga
pai i roto i to raatau oranga.
Supporting grandparents, grandchildren and whanau
to achieve positive outcomes in their lives.  



Contact us

Member Support 
Outside Auckland Freephone
0800 472 637      

Auckland Landline or Mobile Phone Callers
(09) 418 3753 

National Support Office
9:00am - 2:00pm
09 418 3753

PO Box 34-892
Auckland 0746
New Zealand

Email GRG Office

Mitre 10 Community of the Year 2013

Nzer Awards logo 2013-893