btn login facebook small positivessl trust seal lg 222x54

                               For Auckland call us on 09 4183753 or outside Auckland  0800 472 637

Join GRG Update your member details COVID-19 button-40 Donate



Financial Support

For most grandparents and whanau caregivers who take on the full-time care of children it involves significant financial challenges and readjustments to their lives.

Apart from having extra mouths to feed each day, it seems like there are endless extra costs and expenses involved from the simple day-to-day clothing and bedding needs, to paying for school and extra-curricular activities, doctors, dental and medical costs, counselling, therapy… and the list goes on.

Over many years GRG has built up extensive expertise and knowledge of the financial support available from the State for grandparents and other kin carers raising their grandchildren on a full-time basis.

GRG contributed to this informative brochure and guide Help When You're Caring for Someone Else's Child whichFullSizeRender-63 provides helpful information about the financial support available to full-time grandparent and whanau caregivers.

The Unsupported Child Benefit is particularly relevant if you are a grandparent or whanau/kin caregiver and it is worth taking the time to carefully read through the following information. 

If you are a GRG member you can also access our free Field Officer support and advice for your particular situation.  If you are not a member and you are a full-time grandparent/whanau caregiver, membership is free and takes just a few minutes to join up here.


The Unsupported Child Benefit 

The Unsupported Child’s Benefit (UCB) is a weekly payment authorised under section 29 of the Social Security Act 1964, which helps carers supporting a child or young person whose parents can't care for them because of a family breakdown.  

An important part of establishing eligibility for the UCB is satisfying the requirement that there has in fact been a family breakdown leading to the situation where the child or children are in your care.

As each case is different, it is important that before you make an application to your local Work and Income office that you are prepared and can clearly explain the nature of the family breakdown, why the child/ren are in your care, and why they can’t be cared for by their parents. 

For help and advice on these matters please call our 0800 GRANDS (0800 472637) helpline. 

The following information sets out the main eligibility criteria for the UCB in accordance with the law.

Who can get it

You may be able to get the Unsupported Child’s Benefit if the child or young person you care for is:

  • 18 years old or younger

  • financially dependent on you

  • not able to be cared for by their parents because of a breakdown in the child’s family.

You must:

  • be 18 or older and the main carer of the child or young person
  • expect to care for the child or young person for 12 months or more
  • be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
  • not be the child or young person's natural or adoptive parent or step-parent.

You or the child or young person must normally live in New Zealand. If you are working and you are granted the UCB, you may also qualify for the In-work tax credit from Inland Revenue

To download the application form for the Unsupported Child Benefit click here. ucb-679-533

You will need to print the document out and then fill it in.
You will have to arrange a meeting with Work and Income.
You will need to take the completed application form and other supporting documents to the meeting. 
Parent/caregiver involvement

When you apply for an Unsupported Child’s Benefit for a child, the parent/caregiver will be invited to discuss the situation. There are some circumstances where this won’t happen, for example, when a recent Oranga Tamariki Group Conference has been held.

Information for parents/caregivers

How much you can get

This depends on the child or young person’s age and any income they have.

View the maximum current rates


Helpful Information


How to apply

Contact Work and Income to talk about your circumstances and they'll explain how to apply. They'll normally arrange a meeting with you and will tell you what you need to bring.

Orphan’s/Unsupported Child’s Benefit Application Form (PDF 731.4KB)

How long do I have to complete my application?

You have 20 working days from when you first contacted Work and Income. You'll need to provide them with any supporting documentation required for your application within this time. If you don't do this, you may have to reapply.
If you can't complete your application within 20 working days for any reason, please contact Work and Income.

Other payments

The State recognises that you can face financial pressure when you are caring for someone else’s child and, as part of the Children’s Action Plan, two new payments and a special fund have been introduced to help with this.

School and Year Start-up Payment

From 13 January 2014, if you get the Unsupported Child’s Benefit or Orphan’s Benefit you can apply for the School and Year Start-up Payment to help with the costs that mostly happen at the beginning of the year, in particular pre-school and school-related costs such as clothing, school fees and stationery. Opens every January.

For more information about this payment and how to apply

Establishment Grant

From 13 January 2014, when you get the Unsupported Child’s Benefit or Orphan’s Benefit, you will automatically receive a one-off grant of $350 for each child. This is to help you with the costs involved when a child first comes into your care, such as a bed, bedding and clothing.

For more information about the Establishment Grant

Extraordinary Care Fund

If you get the Unsupported Child’s Benefit or Orphan’s Benefit you can also apply for additional financial assistance in special circumstances from the Extraordinary Care Fund. The fund is designed to assist with costs for children who are either experiencing difficulties that impact on their development or who are showing promise. 

For more information about these payments




About us 

Grandparents Raising GrandchildrenTM Trust NZ (GRG) is a registered Charitable Trust operating throughout New Zealand providing support services to grandparents who are raising their grandchildren on a full-time basis. Our vision is for a community where grandparents raising grandchildren are empowered to provide a safe, secure and nurturing home for their grandchildren.

Charities Commission Registration CC20205

Join GRG Update your member details
Financial Support-396 Donate
 btn login facebook small
GRGT Logo Modified 20041125-1-10-287

Te tautoko i nga tupuna, mokopuna me te whanau.
Te awhina ia ratou ki te whakatutuki i nga putanga
pai i roto i to raatau oranga.
Supporting grandparents, grandchildren and whanau
to achieve positive outcomes in their lives.  



Contact us

Member Support 
Outside Auckland Freephone
0800 472 637      

Auckland Landline or Mobile Phone Callers
(09) 418 3753 

National Support Office
9:00am - 2:00pm
09 418 3753

PO Box 34-892
Auckland 0746
New Zealand

Email GRG Office

Mitre 10 Community of the Year 2013

Nzer Awards logo 2013-893