btn login facebook small positivessl trust seal lg 222x54

 For Auckland call us on 09 4183753 or outside Auckland  0800 472 637

Join GRG Update your member details COVID-19 button-40 Donate Financial Support for Caregivers-665 SGC Vacancies-137.png

Rights to Financial Support

The law is clear that parents have a duty and obligation to financially support their children. 

If you are caring for someone else's child you are entitled to seek financial support for their care.  However the circumstances in which you have become the caregiver has a significant bearing on where and to whom you can turn for financial support.  

For most full-time grandparent and whanau caregivers we work with they have become caregivers because of a family breakdown and the parents are unable to care for them, or as the result of the death of the parents.

But this is not always the case. For some families, arrangements within the family have been made for economic or cultural reasons that the grandparents or someone else in the family will care for the children full-time.  If you are in this situation, the information in our guide on the Unsupported Child Benefit or the foster/whanau caregiver CYF Board payments is unlikely to apply.  

You may be entitled to child support from the children's parents and/or eligible for Working for Families tax credits or some other form of income support.

Our support services are available to all full-time grandparent and whanau caregivers irrespective of the reason the children have come into your care.  

Please read through our materials and the links to Handbooks and other websites and if you need further help please call us on 0800 GRANDS (0800 472637) or contact Work and Income office or the IRD for advice on your particular situation.

If you are a full-time grandparent/whanau caregiver and you do not receive Caregiver board payments through Child Youth and Family please click here to read our guide on financial support for grandparent and whanau caregivers.

If you are a full-time grandparent/whanau caregiver of children placed in your care following an order made under the Children Young Persons and their Families Act 1989 Caregiver board payments are made to you for the financial support of the children as if you are a foster carer.  These payments are authorised under the Children Young Persons and Their Families Act 1989 not the Social Security Act 1964 which applies to the UCB and other income support.  

To find out more about the Caregiver board payments and support please click here >> 

To find out the Caregiver board rates please click here >>






About us 

Grandparents Raising GrandchildrenTM Trust NZ (GRG) is a registered Charitable Trust operating throughout New Zealand providing support services to grandparents who are raising their grandchildren on a full-time basis. Our vision is for a community where grandparents raising grandchildren are empowered to provide a safe, secure and nurturing home for their grandchildren.

Charities Commission Registration CC20205

Join GRG Update your member details
Financial Support-396 Donate
 btn login facebook small
GRGT Logo Modified 20041125-1-10-287

Te tautoko i nga tupuna, mokopuna me te whanau.
Te awhina ia ratou ki te whakatutuki i nga putanga
pai i roto i to raatau oranga.
Supporting grandparents, grandchildren and whanau
to achieve positive outcomes in their lives.  



Contact us

Member Support 
Outside Auckland Freephone
0800 472 637      

Auckland Landline or Mobile Phone Callers
(09) 418 3753 

National Support Office
9:00am - 2:00pm
09 418 3753

PO Box 34-892
Auckland 0746
New Zealand

Email GRG Office

Mitre 10 Community of the Year 2013

Nzer Awards logo 2013-893